Old 25 Jan 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3795022)   #1673
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I totally missed this, noticed the other day they were not on D24 entry list and then searched...

Very much the end of an era. Glad they will continue with the historics and Porsches
Not sure if you're much into social media stuff but they've been posting a lot of current projects on their instagram, they look pretty busy!

https://www.instagram.com/alexjobracing/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
For as well as IMSA is doing, we've lost some pretty massive teams from the series over the last few years (FLM, Dyson, AJR, Brumos, TRG, Starworks)
However tenured, there are pretty good reasons for most of those teams no longer running.

FLM - Rich-guy owned funded Porsche factory 'blessed' team. Was a 10-year deal, 03-2013. After that Seth sold his stake and they are now a customer team, so wherever they are paid to race, is where they race.

Dyson - Rich guy owned and funded team. Probably the biggest loss since as far as I know, they probably still have the funds to race, but have chosen not to. Of all the teams in the USA, Dyson is still "the" independent prototype team to me.

AJR - Former customer team turned factory team turned customer racing team turned historics. Like FLM, AJR went where they were paid to race, and once the Weathertech money left I doubt they had any choice. It's cool to see them doing well with the historic stuff. It's really fun racing.

Brumos - Once Bob Snodgrass died, from what I heard, it was a struggle to keep the team running, since he was really the money behind and heart and soul of the Brumos dealership (outside of Hurley of course). This is just based on what I was told.

TRG -- The definition of a customer team. No drivers to pay them, no racing.

Starworks -- Still around in the same way that FLM is, as mentioned, running the LAND operation in the states. I think they lost out a lot once the Venezuelan money dried up.

I think the loss of most of those teams= comes down to the lack of real sponsorship available these days. Any one of them, if they had the ability to secure proper sponsorship, would undoubtedly be racing this weekend.