View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2643852)   #46
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Great stuff Simon- I remember the cars in the BTCC and to a lesser extent in Thundersaloons, where I know I saw them a couple of times, but couldn't remember who drove them and where

Your history of the cars when they were run by MIL in Group A is spot on- Two cars, the first driven by Chris Hodgetts, then taken over by Mark Hales when Chris parted company with the project mid-season. Ian Flux stood in for Hales at a couple of late-season rounds, Brands and the Silverstone finale.

The second car was for Vic Lee and first appeared at Round 5, Thruxton, until Round 10, Brands. Lee actually raced both cars, sharing the other car with Hodgetts at the Donington 1-hour race
IIRC, before Lee was confirmed for the drive, there was some speculation about who would be in the 2nd car, several other drivers were rumoured to be the the frame- think there might even have been talk in the press of Juha Kankkunen having a guest outing in it at some point! Think there were also rumours of a third car which never came to pass

Do you know which chassis yours originally was, the No1 (Hodgetts/Hales/Flux) etc car, or the No2 (Lee)?

The other, slightly more mysterious part of the story is that one of the cars appears to have had a brief career as a rally car- Regular Corolla pilot Graham Middleton turned up with a red Group A Supra Turbo on the 1988 Manx International, and the car was described in the reports at the time as being one of the MIL cars hastily converted for tarmac rallying- from the couple of pics I've seen, it certainly looked like one. Don't suppose there's a sumpguard and a set of rally-spec suspension amongst those spares....?