View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3160033)   #2560
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
So Audi should have thrown away the 18 months of work, during which the whole system was designed, when the FIA technical department agreed on the 120 km/h rule?

Audi probably did not have the luxury of developing two hybrid solutions and then choosing the best solution based on track testing and the final rule book. Remember that 2012 was planned to be a development year only for Toyota, whereas Audi had to be ready to face Peugeot in a full WEC season.

BTW the 120 km/h rule was officially announced on 10/10/2011, but Audi obviously knew this a few months earlier.
That's weird, the link you gave earlier of the PDF file shows the date as published on 23rd of September 2011. And page 5 states
Quote:
If the STSY [Rechargeable Energy Storage System (STSY)] is connected to the front wheels, the release of energy is permitted only above 120 km/h.
So, yes I believe 'Audi obviously knew about this' for some time as they're part of the teams' running a hybrid system. It was their decision to run front driven hybrid power when they knew it'd be above 120kmh. You've stated Peugeot lobbied for that (along with the 500kj), and Audi conceded the advantage it'd bring.

I also don't understand how Toyota could afford to try front and rear but Audi couldn't? I think 4wd 'Quattro' is something they wanted to label and that helped with their decision. But what do I know?