Thread: Team Marussia - what next?
View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3469435)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Irrelevant we are talking about teams being able to afford to race, if some folks don't like it, who cares?
i think it matters. if no one cares then where is the money to go racing going to come from?

Quote:
Perhaps TV numbers have been dwindling because many of us have realised that what we have is a sham. There is absolutely no relevance to road cars in racing. Think back, racing started by improving/modifying road cars not the other way around.
of course there could be many reasons why numbers are dropping. my life experience lead me to believe that it about failing to connect with a younger demographic combined with failing to promote healthy competition among equals. i have said this before but perhaps is a N.American thing as our sports league are always striving to facilitate parity among all of the teams as well as offering an equal split of tv revenue.

naturally my suggestions, including those on the PPV system, stem from what we have over here.

the connection to road relevance is an odd one. as a race fan i dont need to see that connection but understand that the manufacturers need to promote that connection as it does (presumably)help with road car sales .

as a car owner and race fan i certainly get a kick when the car salesperson starts talking about their company's racing pedigree but really im going to buy a car based on how well it suits my needs with financial needs being the most important.

all things being equal do i want to help a road car company go racing if that means my car becomes more expensive?

so for me, im not sure the connection between road cars and race cars need be any more complex then one of perception (and a perception based on history at that). i suspect those with far more engineering knowledge then myself think very differently.

Quote:
So, what you say is stop promoters making money? Good luck with that. As said there is enough cash floating around in Formula 1, just in the wrong places. But then to make things even more complicated and expensive on the back of "eco friendliness" or road car relevance is nothing short of lying.
of course im not saying we should stop promoters from making money.

perhaps i should have been more clear but if your promoter is not making you enough money you (or too much for themselves) then just maybe its time to find a different promoter.