Thread: Team Marussia - what next?
View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3469438)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i think it matters. if no one cares then where is the money to go racing going to come from?
We haven't got anything sustainable at the moment. Some crackpot will come up with reasons why these units are not green enough and off we go again. Racing is nothing to do with technology its about who can go fastest. We, or many people, seem to have forgotten that. The fact that nobody watches it has nothing to do with racing. So if the promoters keep making it more difficult for teams to race then it's a self fulfilling prophesy.

They need to get real and realise that the sport is about speed not how far you can drive on a mosquito's bladder of fuel.

Quote:
of course there could be many reasons why numbers are dropping. my life experience lead me to believe that it about failing to connect with a younger demographic combined with failing to promote healthy competition among equals. i have said this before but perhaps is a N.American thing as our sports league are always striving to facilitate parity among all of the teams as well as offering an equal split of tv revenue.
The younger demographic has been fed the bullshit that competition is bad and that fairness in all things is good. Not exactly the way to get them interested in competitive sport. Then again when we were the younger demographic the sponsors were condom companies, jeans, motor oils, booze and cigarettes. These latter two are considered bad in this day and age. So where are the phone and computer companies that should be appealing to the younger demographic? They don't need to sponsor racing cars because they sell on the back of their own marketing. Ergo the sport needs to move away from expensive initiatives and get back to being all about racing.

Quote:
naturally my suggestions, including those on the PPV system, stem from what we have over here.

the connection to road relevance is an odd one. as a race fan i dont need to see that connection but understand that the manufacturers need to promote that connection as it does (presumably)help with road car sales .

as a car owner and race fan i certainly get a kick when the car salesperson starts talking about their company's racing pedigree but really im going to buy a car based on how well it suits my needs with financial needs being the most important.

all things being equal do i want to help a road car company go racing if that means my car becomes more expensive?

so for me, im not sure the connection between road cars and race cars need be any more complex then one of perception (and a perception based on history at that). i suspect those with far more engineering knowledge then myself think very differently.

of course im not saying we should stop promoters from making money.

perhaps i should have been more clear but if your promoter is not making you enough money you (or too much for themselves) then just maybe its time to find a different promoter.
If your car is a ford and the world champion's car is powered by a ford racing engine then that's about as far as road relevance should go.

We may well get a new promoter soon if CVC can't provide more than 16 cars for the first race of 2015.