Thread: Team Marussia - what next?
View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3469472)   #72
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Talking green isn't talking about road relevance but world relevance. All the "road relevance" you want is "our team built this high octane F1 car in high pressure situations; the same calibre of men and women that'll build your car tomorrow."

Going green is virtually inevitable. F1 is too integrated with the commercial world to avoid it. But it's not some mad cure that'll attract a whole new universe of sponsorship that'll restore the sport. In fact, if they make the green angle too pronounced it'll confuse and underwhelm the audience who are looking for fuel guzzling monstrosities that race on the edge and the kind of people who put stress on environmentalism won't engage with the sport whatever you do.

But the problem isn't compulsory niceness or everyone-gets-a-prize either.

The problem is fundamental and its the standing of the car. It's diminished. A car isn't something to crave for looks anymore - it serves utilitarian purposes. There's no Ford Sierra anymore. Modern cars look like abnormal, chubby slabs on wheels, devoid of charisma. With people disengaging from the idea that the car is something to crave, this has a correspondingly negative, strong impact on the popularity of motorsport.

What I would do is strip out all that stupid IT and expensive technological garbage that doesn't do one whit for the quality of the sport and let these guys race. Let cars race not laptops on wheels. They won't do that of course but I'll continue to dream about it anyway.

Last edited by Paradise City; 28 Oct 2014 at 19:24.