Thread: Team Marussia - what next?
View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3469641)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i agree racing is about going fastest. the point i am trying, unsuccessfully it seems, is that i would like to see more teams operating at the fastest possible speed.

from your other posts i assume you work in the energy sector or a related field? fuel efficiency or other pseudo green tech may seem silly to you but right or wrong the majority of western society is thinking green...or at least pretending to.
FWIW I believe we should all make an effort to reduce the use of resources, but it should be personal choice not an ideal foisted on us by profiteers and carpetbaggers, who then receive massive sums of my money to subsidise inefficient wind farms and and the like. It's another thread but you may be interested to learn that many "western" governments are now backing away from the subsidies, thereby making the wind farm a much less attractive proposition to the businesses.

anyways even if they dropped the engine rules the money you are talking about saving will not come close to helping those teams in need.

Quote:
for me competition is not one or two teams lapping the remainder. spending 200mill compared to those spending 100-50mil is not competition imo. ensuring that teams have an equal starting point and then seeing what they can do starting from a level starting place is what parity is and its why the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA are among the most popular sports leagues in the world. and why the NFL chiefly is becoming the new model in terms of both how to ensure a competitive field while making more money then ever before.
For me its the winner in the best car wins. Full stop, why do we need to make things a level playing field?

Quote:
i have asked the question about why mobile companies like Apple have no interest in F1. why have all the consumer electronics brands been chased away?

technology companies want to associate themselves with progress while f1 is a case study in moving backwards and that is the fault of old people running to default solutions that worked in the past and its debatable how good those ideas were back then even.

anyways agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Talking green isn't talking about road relevance but world relevance. All the "road relevance" you want is "our team built this high octane F1 car in high pressure situations; the same calibre of men and women that'll build your car tomorrow."
World relevance is an interesting thought. Trouble is legislating for one country whilst its next door neighbour is ignoring the legislation kind of knocks that theory on the head don't you think?

Quote:
Going green is virtually inevitable. F1 is too integrated with the commercial world to avoid it. But it's not some mad cure that'll attract a whole new universe of sponsorship that'll restore the sport. In fact, if they make the green angle too pronounced it'll confuse and underwhelm the audience who are looking for fuel guzzling monstrosities that race on the edge and the kind of people who put stress on environmentalism won't engage with the sport whatever you do.
The point may be that being integrated with the commercial world is actually killing it. It bears no relevance to motor sport any more. It's a technological display.

Quote:
But the problem isn't compulsory niceness or everyone-gets-a-prize either.

The problem is fundamental and its the standing of the car. It's diminished. A car isn't something to crave for looks anymore - it serves utilitarian purposes. There's no Ford Sierra anymore. Modern cars look like abnormal, chubby slabs on wheels, devoid of charisma. With people disengaging from the idea that the car is something to crave, this has a correspondingly negative, strong impact on the popularity of motorsport.

What I would do is strip out all that stupid IT and expensive technological garbage that doesn't do one whit for the quality of the sport and let these guys race. Let cars race not laptops on wheels. They won't do that of course but I'll continue to dream about it anyway.
Agreed.