View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2632798)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Round 8- Brands Hatch (GP Circuit) 20 July 1984, Race supporting the 1984 British Grand Prix

I'd like to see the entry list for this one. Two Capris appear to be present - Unfortunately, one is partly obscured by the BMW and is difficult to identify, the other is in CC/Esso colours, with race no. 23. I'm guessing Mike Newman and Brian Chatfield.
There's a second pitlane pic which includes a couple of cars in the background that I can't identify either. Sadly, they're b/w pics and the reproduction is a bit murky which doesn't help...

Tucked in behind these is a 635 with it's door open, showing sponsorship from 'Direct Tyres', but no visible race number.

The only other visible logos are a Trimoco series decal on the door, and Avon Tyres of the front spoiler. AFAIK it isn't one of the CC Cars, because the paintjob seems wrong- this one's plain silver with some black striping. A prodsaloon maybe, as I can't think of any other BTCC 635s other than the CC pair, Sytner and the blue Grundig car?
Yes I'm pretty sure the 2 Capris were Newman's and Chatfield's. I saw a strange pic a few months ago somewhere of Chatfield sandwiched by The Nissan and eithyer an Alfa or Morris' Scirocco I think? I'll see if I can find it again. EDIT, it's this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3611177...7622382683987/

The silver 'Direct Tyres' 635 was indeed a prodsaloon. Albert Mirko entered his near standard car with slicks for this prestigious meeting and predictably was somewhat off the pace and struggled to compete even with the Class C cars. Mirko had done a couple of Uniroyal or Monroe rounds with the car, and wasn't IIRC a class contender in those either.

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Feb 2010 at 11:05.