View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2015, 08:58 (Ref:3489462)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Talking of the tunnel, one of my customers at the time was almost trapped in the big fire in 1999 but managed to do a million point turn amongst the deluge and go back.
He never used the tunnel again and I think it was shut for 3 or 4 years after a lorry loaded with margarine caught alight.
I'm not surprised he never went through the tunnel again. When using the route now you are left in no doubt as to the seriousness of that fire. As well as trucks having their emissions rating (paperwork) checked before getting to the top of the climb, at the check-in they then go through a scanner that looks for any excess heat from the vehicle. After going through barriers the traffic is then released at intervals, and all way through there are monitors that check your separation to vehicle in front and behind. Minimum and maximum speed limits also....

It was only two years later that the Gotthard tunnel also had a serious fire incident, so a bad time for the operators. Personally I would avoid the £450 round trip charge for a truck through MB if at all possible, but one alternative, driving through CH, costs as much in road tolls! S of France route also adds a lot of miles and tolls so occasionally have to grin and bare it.