View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3725504)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Andy is right. If coming from the South, under no circumstances use the M1 even outside rush-hour - go M40/M42/A42 and come off one junction before you reach the M1.
I travelled up M1 on the Friday before last Saturday's HSCC and it was a nightmare journey the whole way from London - roadworks, speed restrictions, jams and then the gridlock that Andy describes. 3.5 hours for 115 mile trip. On Sat. afternoon after my race I returned via M42/M40 - two hours inc a fuel stop to feed the insatiable Chevy Holley.
Nick
Friday M1 north is always a nightmare from about lunchtime onwards. With the roadworks it is not going to get better and southbound gets screwed as well.

Getting to the circuit may be challenging but anyone thinking of going into Donington should allow good time. At least half an hour from the circuit at peak late afternoon. Maybe an hour if the A42 is also very slow (quite likely) and everyone tries to cut the corner by using the village.

As for the M42/A42 route ...

purely coincidentally I have travelled to Donington from Birmingham for the past 2 Fridays leaving Brum at around 2pm.

M42/A42 was busy on both occasions but at least it kept moving at regulation truck speed.

If travelling in something smaller than a truck there are some options across country.

If the A42 northbound is clogged where it joins the M1, exit early at Ashby north and use the parallel road to Donington but watch out for the speed humps in Breedon.

For the M1 north there is the option to leave at J23 (Shepshed/Loughborough) skirt Shepshed and cut across country via Belton to the south of Donington and join as if coming in from the A42 or head towards (but not into) Diseworth then join the A453 towards the Park from the East.

Both are OK in a car or van.

Slightly trickier if towing - some parts are quite narrow - but better than sitting in traffic. Probably not a good recommendation for a truck of any size. For that Mr. Hadfield would be a much better source of information.