View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2023, 08:39 (Ref:4166789)   #67
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
Does it though? that sound smore like mechanical grip than aero.
If it helps the discussion(s) about aero benefits, two good articles can be found at:

http://racingcardynamics.com/race-ca...air-lap-times/

http://theracingline.net/2018/race-c...r-of-pressure/

In terms of your direct question - from the 'dynamics' link - 'the amount of lateral force that can be generated by a tyre is extremely dependent on the vertical force acting upon it.

Simply put, the higher the vertical loads on a tyre, the higher the lateral force it can generate.'

So - with more rear downforce, higher lateral force can be put on a tyre, allowing acceleration to happen earlier out of a corner.

A more complex way to look at it comes from the racingline article, which expands on centre of pressure (CP) in relation to centre of gravity (CG). 'anytime the x-coordinate of CG and CP will not be the same, downforce will create a moment that will tend to rotate the car around an axis parallel to the y one.'

So - with an increase in rear downforce (only) the moment when the car rotates (squats at the rear) happens earlier in the acceleration phase of the corner.