Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1626633)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Dennis is right, buffed tyres will actually last longer and work better than unbuffed. Reason, the blocks of tread on a new tyre will squirm about and this will generate heat causing them to go off and also harden. It is false economy not to buff. The Kumhos 1b's I am using at the moment do not require buffing so save money in that respect.

I think the modprods were better when tyres were free Dennis and maybe for the survival that should be reconsidered. For what Toyo put in was it worth it, when I negotiated the Falken deal it was a differnt kettle, they gave us £25,000 a year and that meant good prize money (whats prize money you may ask today!). Let Toyos stay in if they want and give tyres to encourage Toyo use but let them run against other makes as well. It may work well for them if front runners are using their rubber!

One of the reason I am not doing it (ModProds) now is they could not supply the tyre size for my car which is another problem if you restrict use to certain makes/types in fact Kumho are the only company I have seen that make a 265-45-16 to my knowledge that fits my wheels like a glove not only meaning I do not have to spend an arm and a leg on wheels but also my final drive ratio is correct which would also have to be changed if I had to go up to 17 or 18" covers. The suspension will not work properly either with the constrains of the rules if you fit a taller tyre and then lower the car to compensate as the roll centres will go off the scale.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 4 Jun 2006 at 08:52.