View Single Post
Old 2 May 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2683294)   #39
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen,

Here are a few more photos of some things I find interesting about the SCA/C. The shot of the timing gears shows (I believe) an early and a late compound gear which mounts to the front of the cylinder head and actually drives the cam gear. The early one on the left has bolts holding the two gears together, but the later one on the right uses 4 spring pins. I am thinking that the spring pins might be able to give just a little bit and help with the torsional vibration damping in the cam drive geartrain. Or possibly it was just a cheaper, quicker way to join the gears. I have never rebuilt a DFV, but I am told that the torsional vibration damping in that engine is accomplished within the compound gear at the branch of the "Y" in the geartrain.

The third photo shows the Lucas Opus ignition box and distributor; there was also a normal looking ignition coil as part of the system. I have never seen this setup except on F2 cars from this period. I have run several F1 cars from that period and they seem to run a larger box that includes the ignition coil inside it.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0526.jpg   DSCN0527.jpg