View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2013, 02:34 (Ref:3275177)   #15
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The great thing about this forum is that (90% of the time) we debate, we don't argue!

But you're right, we don't know for sure. However, while the Judd engine was no world beater and indeed it's kind of died a death in P1, Judd have produced decent engines in top-level prototypes since for many years now. On top of that, the DOME had a Judd stuck in the back of it before. I'm pretty confident that a fully functioning Pescarolo team, without living on the brink of bankruptcy and with more time to develop the car, could have got that package to be something capable of finishing the race.

Good point though, the Mazda engine is often forgotten, but I think it's overlooked by most privateers, and with good reason. It's not particularly reliable or powerful. At the end of this rules cycle, we've been left with no decent powertrain options for privateers, and that's why we have so few of them.

Let's hope things change for 2014.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily suggest that HPD is anything less than decent. It's fast and reliable... that's all you need for endurance lasting 6 hours or more. Of course, only one team is using it this year in the WEC (Strakka), but they've held their own against the Rebellion cars. Plus, next year, things will change...