View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3716037)   #17
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Louis

That is pretty much what I thought.
The problem seems to be that race organisers think that the FIA insist on the use of Dunlop tyres.
Reading the regulations I think it could be said it is not very clear/easy, which is why I suggest that maybe the FIA could explain explicitly to organisers that they can use alternatives.

Things like CR6 ZZs are definitely inappropriate but Michelin Z type tyres are available and were used in period so a simple statement saying that period type tyres are acceptable could help.

If you look at just F1 in the 50s there were a lot of different tyres used, Englebert, Pirelli, Dunlop, Avon and so on, so restricting such cars to Dunlops is not historically correct.

As you say making historic racing tyres isn't a way to get rich but there are some companies who could be tempted (e.g. Blockley who's owner does not need to make another fortune) but as things stand the race organisers don't give them a chance and it looks like they feel it is the FIA who tell them to use Dunlops.

Best wishes
Peter
Peter,

we have told people, we have a rulebook available online to anyone interested, now it is their responsibility, we can't do more.

On variety, there was always a variety of tyres in period, it is understood that a company like blockley should just take the rules and point it to organisers and anyway, most of the grid covered by blockley do not run strictly to Appendix K already so what else should we do.

As I like to say, rules are for the obedience of fools and interpretation of smart mens.

Best, Louis.