Old 18 May 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3734243)   #106
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
When they bought the series in 2011 we had more entries, events in Abu Dhabi & Bahrain as well as NZ, plus a new 5-year deal with Texas was freshly signed, the Sydney 500 was still being bandied as the greatest event ever in after two runnings and three years still to go on that contract, and they were in the middle of the mega-buck 6-year TV deal with Channel 7 that had started in 2007.

Now we have less cars, only NZ left as an overseas event at the moment, no more major Sydney event, a big TV deal going in its favour but it delivers less FTA content

ding ding we have a winner
A good counter argument may I add but here's my view on it:
1. We only have 2 less entrants which is no significant change and the category is much more competitive across the 26 entries now.
2. Is true but but likely change in due time seemingly through a Sepang deal perhaps
3. The Foxtel deal has been brilliant and I just realised I've been misquoting the figure it's actually $241 million with $196 million in cash and the fta deal was really not "big buck" and there offer would've been detrimental for the category at the prices they were offering. This has also been a revelation for support categories whom now are receiving all live coverage compared to the disaster it was before. Lastly there's plenty of other cheaper options for non fta viewers to watch the platform
4. Sydney was never really going to work in the long term , Newcastle has proven it is a much more sustainable home for Supercars the community event with around 10,000 attendees proved this