Thread: IMSA IMSA : 2019
View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3768875)   #31
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know if Michelin will automatically make better tires (unless IMSA adopt ACO style pit rules), but I can't be the only one who finds it strange that the DPIs have been seemingly limited to running the same lap times around most tracks that Audi R8s, Panoz Roadsters and Dyson Lolas were running 12-15 years ago, even more than that going back to around 2000.

The Dunlops on LMP2s at Sebring got those cars to the point where at Sebring this year they could've easily been in the top 5 overall in qualifying there in 2012.

I'd think it would be reasonable for DPIs to be running 2006-07 or maybe even 2011 LMP1 lap times around most tracks. And I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the Continental tires are the major factor here.

Whether or not it's on Continental or IMSA or percentage of fault is a matter of debate.