View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3769568)   #34
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
LMP900s and the big engine LMP1s might be basically gone, but the current cars evolved from them.

Bigger issue is the tires that are being used. If IMSA were doing this to limit speeds, then why ditch Continental after next season for Michelin who will probably make better tires?

Either Michelin are shoving more money into Jim France's and Don Panoz's and other IMSA bigwigs' pockets, than Conti was, or they maybe know something we don't, be it the future of DPI at LM, the possibility of a split, higher performance spec or maybe open tire DPI class and a spec tire LMP2 class, or they just felt it was time for a change.

Just disappointed that 15-20 years or car development is held back by a relatively junk spec tire.

And though I think that records to a degree are made to be broken, I also question when is faster too fast. How fast do we want these cars to go or what sacrifices are we willing to make? Do we want faster cars with butchered tracks, or tracks with minimal modifications and retain their character but with cars that have the edge taken off of them? I'd vote for cars to have the edge taken off of them to a degree.

For instance, LM wouldn't be making so many changes to their track if the cars were still running 3:25s or lower for the top class. Also, breaking speed records is fine, but does it necessarily make the racing better?