Thread: IMSA USCC in 2016 and 2017
View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3770139)   #5462
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In an article on S365, Scott Sharp thinks the p2's will be competitive at Laguna. But the part that was interesting to me was the comment about weight:

I guess I didn't realize that the P2's were so much lighter. Is the extra weight in DPi's mandated? or just an artifact of the cars who are competing?
ligier, oreca and very likely dallara lmp2 are lighter than 900kg and reach reg. min. 930kg because of mandatory ballast.
Cadillac dpi and Nissan dpi use heavier engines than gibson motor.

In an article post daytona, I've read that max angelelli speculated that cadillac dpi was about 50kg overweight (about 980kg) that more or less is basically the same extra weight Sharp was talking about (100pounds = 45kg).
Anyway is a sort of "compensation handicap": cadillac and nissan have same power of aco lmp2, but much more torque. It's quite fair that these cars must to be heavier after all.

About riley-multimatic, the very ACO lmp2 spec is/was over weighted, for sure it was mazda dpi too.

For records, in the whole 2007-2010 lifespan 908 Hdi was always heavier than min. 930kg. Over weighted cars are quite common in motorsport, 2017 mercedes f1 was too in first races.