Thread: WEC Race 6 Hours of Shanghai
View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3780033)   #58
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lopez just hasn't had enough experience. Generally you work up to LMP1, not go from touring cars to LMP1. He'll improve with time and be fine. I don't think he should be dropped, but I do think Toyota should be putting him in every multi-class race they can from now until April to try and bulk up the experience a bit.

On the flip side, I don't think "3 times world champion" is a relative response. He is a 3 time world champion - in single class, front wheel drive touring car racing. If this was BTCC, then he'd be incredible. But this is a very different discipline, so this sort of winning record isn't necessarily relevant. He's clearly very fast, he's clearly not daft (otherwise he wouldn't be in the car), but he is inexperienced and no amount of touring car titles are an answer to that.

As I say, put him in every multi-class race you can find until then. I'm sure you could find a seat for him in AsLMS (with Toyota money), and the early IMSA races. Hell, some experience in the GT side wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.