Thread: Barton, Andy
View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3289476)   #63
jwblackwell
Rookie

jwblackwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy Barton Ironman of the North

Back to the future, 1981 having arrived in the UK on our way to Ireland to purchase the Nugent Autosport advertised Argo JM8 #44 Atlantic (he took a deposit on the car while we were in the air) we diverted to Argo to meet with Jo Marquart who put us on the path to the Rackham Argo JM5 #36 so South we go down past Lydden and do the deal, crate the car and call Rapid Transport to collect it up. Now on to the Ironman portion of this story. We need a BDA, there is one advertised in Autosport we call, I can't understand a word the person on the other end of the phone is saying, something about Allen Smith BDA it was the man him self talking about his hart (Hart 420) it was my impression we had to get there quick as there was a problem with his hart. Off we go to the North find Andy at the garage and the motor is in the car (March of some duravation) loved the grease and total disheveled look of the place. Purchased the BDA on the spot Andy said no problem will crate it and send it on let's go to my place and have a bite what a lovely evening his wife (I am remiss for I can not remember her name) made Yorkshire Pudding. She was on the UK international bridge team. Having meet Argo ( Jo and Nick Jordan) Dave Rackham and the Andy Barton I have the fondest memories of club racing in the UK. By the way that Argo JM5 with the Allen Smith BDA won it's first race in the US a SCCA National with James Blackwell driving. I just love this forum.