View Single Post
Old 19 May 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3734531)   #1405
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
There would be unless they ran the events on separate days. Silverstone can only cater for so many spectators, and the GP has been opened up to about 140,000 now and over the last few years it has been sold out completely on the Sunday. And that's both the grandstands and general admittance.

And if last year was anything to go by, if you arrived much after 06.00 to grab your space, then actually seeing much of the track was almost impossible.
How close to they get to 'sold out' on Fri & Sat?
And also how close does the motoGP get to sold out?

Firstly - I know this is massively hypothetical. But lets assume for a moment that Silverstone was seriously considering hosting motoGP and F1 over the same weekend.

The Sunday would obviously have little room to boost revenue, and would on paper equal existing F1 revenue and take zero of the existing motoGP revenue.
On the Saturday though, I would imagine F1 generates a marginal revenue stream, and probably far less than a motoGP Sunday.
By hosting the motoGP main event on a Saturday, that would in effect transfer the majority of the motoGP revenue to the Saturday, and possibly reduce some operating overheads as they are covering both events on a single weekend. You will also see a possible increase from crossover income (concessions, merchandise etc.) between different spectator groups.

Looking at motoGP and F1 alone, then it would probably result in a reduced revenue - but from the overall Silverstone model they would have two significant revenue streams consolidated into a single weekend, which can then be bolstered by an additional operating weekend for hosting another event (assuming there is something viable).

I'm also assuming that it would take minimal work for motoGP to operate from a second pit lane, but given the Silverstone configuration(s) I think this should be possible.

But hey - this is probably all a dream and we'll see the British round of F1 taken off the calendar before we see a shared event?!