Thread: 2012 memories
View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3184589)   #34
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
High: definitely Bernie's V8s at Donington. My first attempt at Donington, having failed to make it there several times before despite the best laid plans. Anyway, after spinning at Redgate in torrential conditions and dropping to about 17th, managed to claw my way back through the field to finish 7th O/A and 1st in class - against some pretty serious looking V8 machinery. And I never changed to 'wets'! Not my first class win, but definitely my best I reckon, in very tricky conditions and against some far superior machines. I was well chuffed!

Low: what's that they say about pride coming before a fall? A few weeks later during qualifying at Mallory, took my eyes off the ball for what turned out to be longer than recommended and found myself with two wheels on the (soggy) grass at a ton plus - spun across the track and went in hard and fast side-on into triple height armco (no tyre wall to absorb some of the energy). Almost rolled over the barrier, but luckily didn't! Still the biggest shunt I've ever had though - put me in hospital, and I don't think the damage on the car is gonna buff out.