View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2016, 23:48 (Ref:3617184)   #3
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that the pension is about $1,100 a month, unless older drivers have a substantial independent income, they will be out. Several are already contemplating retiring from racing and I must admit, the rising costs hastened my decision to retire from racing after the January Festival meeting. Even the MSNZ National Licence fee is difficult to justify when only doing a few events a year - and there is no Gold Card reduction either. Hint, hint...

At the other end of the scale, it will be even tougher for youngsters to get a foot on even the lowest rung of the racing ladder. That will be a real shame, just as NZ is in the spotlight for producing several world class drivers.

The proportionate cost of the purchase of the car shrinks when the other expenses rise unchecked.

That means those who bought into U2K Cup or even Classic Trials, traditional stepping stones for those driving for fun rather than glory and ambition, are going to find it much tougher.

North Island lower key series such as MGCC, Historic FF & Formula Junior, Historic Muscle Cars, maybe Historic Sports Sedans and Historic saloons, all risk having to either combine or walk away.

The downside of that will be a return to promoters gambling on getting enough non-series entrants to justify putting on a meeting of any open grids. Given the Kiwi reluctance to get entries in early or even on time, despite the ease of on-line race entries, it looks a bit grim - and I would prefer to be an optimist.

I thought the upper echelon touring car bridge building was a massive positive step forwards, but already, the wheels seem to be either falling off or wobbling precariously, rather than growing.