View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2001, 16:59 (Ref:172983)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
...but when you compare that to the 917, 956 days, well, no comparison.
That is very true, and no, I don't agree with you
I grew up with Gp.C/GTP, I like the open cars much better.

When did the first closed car win Le Mans? The majority of all the winning cars must still be "topless". The people loved the D-Types, they loved the '50s Mercs (although that love ralationship ended rather abruptly), the Matras, the Alpines, the 908, 936,... - easily as much as they loved the Jags, 962s, Saubers, and the rest of the Gp.C brigade.

Sportscar racing is about diversity; it is the mix that makes it so infinitely much more interesting than F1 or NASCAR. I think the rules should not rule out one concept, they shoulf allow both.

One more thing - and yes, this comparison is blatantly unfair - how many people died in Gp.C/GTP cars, and how many in WSC/SR/LMP cars? - The idea is to give the new GTPs a carbon fiber "survival cell" roll ove structure, so let's hope they will make the racing safer.

Alboreto's accident was, imho, not survivable - in any car - because of the high speed at which it happened.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 10 Nov 2001 at 17:05.