Old 10 Nov 2001, 18:20 (Ref:172995)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cybersdorf
[B]

"That is very true, and no, I don't agree with you
I grew up with Gp.C/GTP, I like the open cars much better."

I like both, I just prefer the coupes. But there is little doubt that the crowds were bigger for the days of the coupes. And manufacturer involvement was bigger as well.

"the Matras, the Alpines, the 908, 936,... - easily as much as they loved the Jags, 962s, Saubers, and the rest of the Gp.C brigade."

We all love those cars, but the people stayed away in droves in the '70's when the big 5-litre coupes went away. And when IMSA initiated the WSC concept, well it all fell apart. I think you are right when you say there should be both types. That is when people's interest piqued.

"Sportscar racing is about diversity; it is the mix that makes it so infinitely much more interesting than F1 or NASCAR."

Oh, yeah. 100% agree. Some of my favorite cars are the 936, the 908/2/3 and the Matra 650, but they didn't have those gaudy jungle gym roll bars on them. Sure, there is a real place for open top cars, but I'de like to see the coupes compete on equal footing, which they are discussing. But equalizing cars with completely different aero characteristics will be difficult.

Remember when they ran the 917's and 908's? It was pretty interesting and showed how far Porsche would go to win. Both cars were interesting, but I'm pretty sure we don't want to see a return to completely different cars for different circuits. And I sure don't want to see us go back to the Targa and old N.ring, but I lament their loss.

"I think the rules should not rule out one concept, they shoulf allow both."

Oh, absolutely. But I would like to see them compete to the same set of rules, but with and without roofs.

"One more thing - and yes, this comparison is blatantly unfair - how many people died in Gp.C/GTP cars, and how many in WSC/SR/LMP cars? - "

Yes and no. The only GroupC/GTP deaths that I can recall is Winklehock and Bellof, both massive head on shunts that made no difference to the roll over construction. And Jo Gartner, who tore down a telegraph pole and oak tree in the process, another fatal deal no matter what kind of car. All were very sad.

Alboreto's accident was an upside down deal, and it appears that the roll bar was ripped off. But we have seen plenty of guys walk away from inverted coupes. I didn't see the accident or a really good picture of the car, so I am only speculating that he would have had a better chance with a roof. Personally, I think a roof offers better protection, but I have seen them ripped off too.

"The idea is to give the new GTPs a carbon fiber "survival cell" roll ove structure, so let's hope they will make the racing safer."

Don't you think that would work even better with a roof on the car? Look at the picture i posted of the Mercedes. That puppy landed on it's roof at God knows what speed, but Webber lived to do it again the very next day. Given the choice, I rather risk it in a coupe. I have a great story about what Webber said after his second shunt and was asked if he was going to try the car again, but I can't tell it here. At least I can't quote him, but you can imagine. Problem was he said it in front of about a dozen press people and Norbert Haugg. He has not driven a Mercedes since.

"Alboreto's accident was, imho, not survivable - in any car - because of the high speed at which it happened."

Sadly, the result was what it was. But hopefully Audi has given the car a really good look and can come up with even better ideas for protecting the drivers. Audi claims that the R8's roll bar exceeds the FIA test requirement by EIGHT times, so it must have been a hell of a hit.

One thing for both kinds of car is that a suitable kind of head restraint system should be required. CART has just annonuced that they will require them on all circuits and I am disappointed that ALMS and IRL are not following suit. I think all sanctioning bodies should be embarrased that NASCAR beat them all to the punch on a safety issue.

So, we really don't disagree on much besides our preferences, but that just gives us something to talk about, right?