View Single Post
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2360639)   #5
LCM
Rookie

LCM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchof73
Excellent reply LCM.
What would happen if you fitted two sets of chains,with sprockets of different numbers but same ratio?
ie 12/60 and 14/70 so overall ratio is the same.
Would this reduce wear even more?
Just a thought
Ian
I going for a cold towel to wrap round my head to think about that one (for several days), seasonal excesses of food and beverage permitting, so don't expect anything sensible before next year!

My initial reaction is that it would bring 2 difficulties.

Firstly, a practical engineering difficulty in manufacturing the components. We use one piece front and rear sprocket sets that are machined from billet ie a central cylinder with a flange at each end machined with the sprocket teeth (the rear set also has an offset flange left inside the cylinder for mounting it on the diff). This allowed us to locate the sprockets precisely on the output shaft and on the diff so as to maintain accurate chain alignment and ensure that the chains are truly parallel.

Secondly, as the chains would follow dissimilar paths, I'm not sure that you'd get quite the same degree of load equalisation as you do with similar parallel paths. We thought about the theory of twin chains a lot before doing it and encountered a lot of naysayers in the process. One of the benefits we hoped for was dynamic load equalisation but were told by many "Paddock Experts" that it would be impossible to equalise static tension on the chains and the whole system wouldn't work. Well, in practice we have found that we only have to adjust the chains roughly to balance the tension when installing them and that dynamic (and a slight amount of permanent) stretching takes care of the rest when running the car so that the load is automatically equalised between the chains.

Thirdly (yes, there's always something else when you least expect it). With a Haybusa we tend to run ratios around 15:48 (ie 1:3.2). I'm struggling to find another set of sprockets that would give the same ratio with a whole number of teeth and still fit in the chassis. Obviously other engines have different power bands and primary reduction ratios so would need different fial drive ratios.