View Single Post
Old 20 May 2001, 12:39 (Ref:94470)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wanna See Your Machine Move?

To all those in the road car forum, have you ever looked at taking your car out on the high speeds of the circuit.

For those of you that want the thrill of speed, in a legal, controlled environment there are a number of avenues.

In Victoria, Australia we have a number of public events where you can take your road car for a bit of a thrash. For those of you that like Drags, and burnout comps, we have the Street Legal Drags run at Calder Raceway.

For those that like the skill of manoeuvring in and out of obstacles on various surfaces, we have the Group 5 Motorkhana series, which even runs a Victorian Championship round every year.

And for those that want to combine for the total package, there is the Group 5 Sprint Series which is run at Phillip Island, Calder, Sandown and I believe even Winton.

Sprints are a good way to start competing, you can take your road car down and as long as it passes scrutineering (road standards, plus a few extra little items) you can have a day of running in a group of 3 other cars, trying to get the best time for the day.

I have started in Sprints, and soon will be stepping into my first State Series Round.

Are there such avenues in other states or countries. I am certain there are, so please let us all know, so that those who want to get out and active with motorsport can have a chance to.