View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2017, 02:50 (Ref:3742405)   #99
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now that this discussion has arrived in a suitable place it becomes worth participating.

A number of concepts for the future of motor racing in Australia confront us, and I really don't think there is a single class magic bullet.

The current V8s provide close, bumping, tyre rubbing racing which has great appeal for many. For instance whole field in Darwin covered by about a second in lap time. While the TV package and production is great the FTA exposure has all but disappeared.
For some of us it has passed its use by date because:
a) The cars are no longer relevant,
b) It is over-exposed because it presents a whole program which is basically the one thing- V8s, Dunlop series, Utes, Touring car masters, Porches.
c) No manufacturer involvement
d) Has little "glamour factor" in the eyes of the millennials.
e) It has become too costly for the teams and RECs have become too restrictive like F1

I personally can't Supertourers, Production touring, TCR, or GT3 being the answer on their own.
TCR, would get manufacturer involvement, have some relevance for millennials, and cost less but down on performance.
GT3, has some following, has a glamour factor and some manufacturer involvement.
Production touring may or may not get manufacturer suport but lacks glamour and down on performance.
Supertourers ????????

I think the answer is to come up with a mix that includes non tin top classes, and that the mix should be varied across meetings.

Probably the most important ingredient could be a proper open wheeler formula, probably the proposed F5000, that is identifiable as Australian.

With no domestic industry does Gen 3 make any sense as a re-skinning exercise?

By the way if we wanted REAL market relevance we would be racing crew cab 4wd Utes or soft road SUVs!

Last edited by Oldtony; 17 Jun 2017 at 03:02. Reason: Add 4wd/SUV