View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3780252)   #157
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
to add a thought to that...Bottas was a late signing and i wonder how much of his shortcomings were down to not being as well prepared for 2017 as he could have been, years at Williams would have led him to underestimate what is required of a top tier driver, what it takes to be and stay competitive over the course of a whole season?

i suppose one could say that a season is long enough to get up to speed but i think that also diminishes just how high the bar was set by NR and LH and just how relentless the pressure/pace he had to contend with over this season.

2018 will be the real test, although the one year extension may indicate that he will only have part of 2018 (maybe up until the summer break) to prove he can take the next step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think there's probably something to this, but only as a direct comparison to rosberg, who worked very hard to make sure he knew the team and car inside out. that's a process that takes longer than a few months.
Being signed late can't have helped, although he was relatively stronger earlier in the year when a couple of times he just straight beat Hamilton. That doesn't mean it wasn't something that didn't effect the whole year. Maybe, being new to the team, he found it harder to adapt to developments, or to drive those developments to his advantage? It's hard to tell.

2018 will allow him to adapt more. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Vettel was pretty aggressive into T1... if Bottas hadn't jinked his steering a tad to the right they would have collided.

Vettel's desperate driving again?
For me Vettel was spot on at the start. The perfect level of aggression. Any less than that and we'd never see any overtaking.