View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1177677)   #21
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the photos Andrew. I was a spectator at both meetings. Just look at the Ferrari in 3rd place - was it Jack somebody, and Roger Mac in the Cobra, probably not.
As I recall, the Paddock bend going down became less 'abrupt', smoother quite early on, about the early 70s.
Pardon me if I'm repeating myself, but this maybe new for one or two of you. In 66/7, I did the Motor Racing Stables school course which consisted of 6 stages - 6 being starters, 1 being advanced. I think it was stage 2 consisted of going round the Club circuit the wrong way and lapping within 2 seconds of the instructor set target time. My target was set by Trevor Taylor. My primary instructor was Keith Holland who used to peddle a very useful E Type at the time. Ray Allan was the star at the time. School cars were 1500 Cortina engined Lotus 51s. Was it 67 that they went cross flow and called in Formula Ford?
The other bit of nonsense was that I held a lap record in a Lotus 17 on the BH Mini Circuit. This was where after Bottom Bend you had a hairpin bend right that took you up the service road to the top of Paddock. It was a very short lap! This was to allow MCD to run a stock car bash on the Clearways loop at the same time.
The things that went on ...