View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1205456)   #62
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re this debris-fencing chat which I appear to have sparked off.....!.....

It`s obviously required - in that respect I totally agree with Stephen (as I do on most things!).

BUT.

Instead of blanket-fencing everywhere one needs to apply a modicum of common-sense to the situation. For example, take Hawthorns. If it were actually possible to spectate around the outside of this corner you would clearly need debris-fencing there - it would be stupid not to have it. However, on the inside, spectators are perched high on a bank ON THE INSIDE of a fast right hand bend. Fencing here is not really necessary. I expect (though cannot prove) that over the whole existence of Brands` GP loop there has never been an incident through Hawthorns bend causing debris to leap up onto that spectator banking.

The same can be said of Druids ON THE INSIDE - fencing probably required on the way up on the inside. Fencing around the top and the exit - not really necessary.....

Care needs to be taken to not only make the venue meet FIA Grade 2 but also not to leave it permanently scarred for the spectators wanting to enjoy the other race meetings there. MSV need crowds and you can`t underestimate the fact that people ARE put off by the fences (not JUST the budding photographers). I genuinely think if Goodwood blanket-fenced it`s circuit then the Revival crowd numbers would severely reduce. Think about it - it`s part of it`s appeal.

Re a comment I posted here earlier about altering and "muting" the circuit - the news in MN and AS this week I feel has partly upheld my argument. I do hope this doesn`t ruin the GP loop. Prima-facie it`s not looking too bad. Not quite sure how they`re planning to do Hawthorns but the Westfield re-alignment would seem to be bringing it back to as it used to be (you can still see the old corner beyond the double-apex one that exists now).