View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2620244)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Apparently a director of John West was a key player in putting the 'Salmon Can' Alfa deal together- I suspect they were heavily involved in the whole 'Salmon Can' campaign, as they'd probably have lost a lot of sales- according to an old newspaper report I found online, they'd already been hit hard by a similar botulism case in the late 70's- I guess the economics of the tinned salmon business in the 1980s might be a bit off-topic though!

Ironically I've often heard small Citroen's referred to as 'sardine tins' but Kirby's must be the only Alfa ever know as 'The Salmon Can.' Alfisti must've been up in arms!

I was listening to an old tape recording of the Trimoco June F3 supporting round at Silverstone and Ian Titchmarsh actually calls the car that was well!

Back to discussion of that final round at Silverstone and the footage i've got hold of from Will, showed a good scrap for a good part of the race between Rouse and Brode for the lead and further down a titanic battle between all four BMW's vying with, firstly Percy's recovering Supra (got bogged down off the start removing any chance he had of staying with the Vitesse and Starion) and Sawyer-Hoare's red Vitesse, until it peeled off. I was in the Woodcote stands for this one and really couldn't remember any of that! The angle those Bimmer's get at going through thie chicane rivals anything Stucky did before I can tell you!!

Interestingly CS-H's car hadn't gone anywhere near as well as that in it's occasional races prior to this round so it's left me wondering if he either had some newer Rouse bits on the car, or whether he fuelled it lighter to show it off in order to attract buyers. As we know it went to Australia in the end, but I bet that's not where Charles or Andy Rouse reckoned it would end up!!

Something else, not really relevant I discovered whilst reading Maurice Hamilton's Williams book last night was that CS-H's girlfriend in the late 60's; Virginia, went onto become Mrs Frank Williams!!