View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2963851)   #21
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Strong opinion Cleanup but I do agree, as I intimated last year, with having increased transparency. Also, from a driver perspective, you need exposure and to get yourself onto Autosport / BRDC Awards shortlist itself is a superb achievement. Don't get me wrong, I feel the existence of this award whilst partly, but not wholly, responsible for promoting the next potential UK world champ is a brilliant tool for highlighting the talent that exists within the UK.
However, I feel that the majority of us would struggle to justify any criticism of the top 6 nominees, as noted by KRT917, just because they under performed on test day.
I don't contribute to the prize fund and therefore decisions about result transparency, although hotly debated, remain with contributors.

For what its worth, I had Williamson to win last year and, I reckon Scott Malvern's season has put him in a very strong position for the 2011 prize. Be good to see how the tests go though!
Williamson has proved he was a worthy champion last year and I too would love to see Malvern win this year. He has worked so very hard against all the odds to get this far that he really deserves a break and winning an award like this would really make all the difference to his future career.

But he will still be at a disadvantage as he has still has limited experience of cars with downforce and if he is fortunate enough to be one of the six finalists he will again be up against drivers from winged formulas such as Formula Renault and possibly (German?) Formula 3. The test is likely to use F2/F3 or GP3 which will favour drivers from Formula Renault/German F3

But whether the results of the tests are made public or not I have faith in the process and knowing the calibre of the juudges of the competition I think we just have to trust them to make the correct decision. Even if the results are published I'm sure some will still take issue with them. Only those who are present can know how the drivers performed and remember previous career results earn them their place but their performance during the assessment decides whether or not they are the winner.

Good luck to all six finalists whoever they are!