Old 9 Oct 2002, 06:14 (Ref:398941)   #9
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
alfasud...i did metion earlier in my first reply that 'so max power would be more appropriate for the none CVT.' so it's a yes but CVT based would rely on torgue
O.k. thanks Jukebox, I wanted to make sure I fully understood you, but you're right, you did already say max power for the conventional gearbox.
Quote:
Try to read in this link http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020828.htm of a Honda Civic Hybrid powertrain which uses CVT
Thanks for the link and it's an interesting article, but if you don't mind me saying so, the article seems to support the idea that the revs of max power may also be important for the CVT case too.

To quote the article "93 HP at 5700 rpm and 105 lb.ft. torque at 3000 rpm". So if it's the revs that produce max torque that are the most important for acceleration, then there wouldn't be any good reason to rev past 3000 rpm except for a top speed run, should there?

But later in the article it says "Step harder on the gas and the tachometer goes up to between 4000 and 5000 rpm and stays there while you accelerate". Now 5000 rpm is getting rather close to that max power peak at 5700 rpm isn't it?

There doesn't seem to be any good reason for the car to be reving past 3000rpm, unless the car accelerates better at those higher revs.... which leads me to conclude that the peak power is most important for acceleration in both the conventional multi-speed gearbox and CVT case.

Last edited by alfasud; 9 Oct 2002 at 06:17.