View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:19 (Ref:722458)   #1
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
National FF1600 Series

On October 22nd 2002 i sent a email to John Ward See Below with a idea for a national clubmans ff1600 series. They then organised a mini King of kents series for 2003 .Can all you FF1600 drivers who would be interested please contact BRSCC .

Hi John

Congratulations on a fantastic festival , especially the King Of Kent's which showed how much interest there is in Kent racing at club level.The Two heats and final provided the best racing with tremendous tussles all down the grid.Maybe next year we can have 3 heats and semi's as per the Zetec's ?
Having been at Brands from Thursday onwards I spent quite a bit of time talking to a number of competitors, the general view was that the Kent drivers want a chance to race at other circuits in a separate BRSCC organised championship.
They appear to not want, & cannot afford to make a costly & possibly short lived move to Zetec cars, preferring to run their more cost effective Kent cars.
Are you as competition manager prepared to consider the BRSCC organising a National championship for Kent's?
This must not interfere with the already successful local circuit championships but would give drivers the opportunity to race against other drivers from around the country.
I have taken the liberty to put together a basic plan based on 5 rounds, all double headers spaced out during the year, looking at this years calendar it would have been possible to race and not clash with any of the other Formula Ford 1600 Kent championships except at the circuit raced.
By only having 5 rounds , all double headers keeps the costs down , this would not stop drivers doing their local championships in addition to the national championship. There would be no problem filling the grids as many drivers who do not want to do the whole championship would race in their local championship and the national one . This format would also provide young drivers with the experience of good competition at all the circuits before moving on to something else.
Many Zetec teams also run Kent cars so this would also provide an added income for them & BRSCC in additional entry fees.
I am confident you would be able to attract the best Kent drivers and provide 30 plus grids and a excellent income for the BRSCC.
The proposed championship would fit in well with the successful Castle Combe Carnival and King Of Kent's.
I am confident that with Dominics help a sponsor could be found, & you are not looking for huge ammounts.
Now that there is no longer any serious problem with 1600 engine parts supplies and with many new cars being converted for next year the future for kents look a lot more healthier than Zetecs, & In view of Fords current attitude to motor sport in general and Zetec in particular their statements that there will be no money whatsoever forthcoming for Zetec ensures the slow and steady decline in interest in racing this far more expensive class of car.
Formula Ford 1600 Kent has in exactly the same time frame shown itself to be the junior formulae class of choice, for both old and newly emerging club competitors .
John, I am not privy to the number of entries that could have been accepted for the festival, but feel fairly sure that there was certainly a good number of other drivers who were not able to obtain an entry, this all represents a loss of revenue to BRSCC.
I know there was a super classic championship existing before, but this had too many rounds and clashed with all the other FF 1600 local championships .
I have spoken at length to Tony Broster for two reasons, firstly he is very heavily involved with the FFI people in manufacture & supply of parts, & secondly as ARP manager, Bros suggested you may wish to run the Kents alongside the ARP series & provide an excellent BRSCC single seater programme.
However if this Kent idea went ahead, I do not think we should let the dates clash with the local FF 1600 championships, could the dates be arranged as such?.
I realise the races will have to fitted in on the days but the suggested dates for this past year are below.
John, we all know that Kent went through a slow patch, & has emerged stronger than for many years, with 5 chassis manufacturers now turning their attention to the much needed production of new chassis, & with parts supplies now a thing of the past I do ask you & others in the senior levels of the "premier club" to give some serious thought & consideration to my proposal to re constitute a National Championship.

13th April Oulton park
3rd June Castle Combe
18th August Brands Hatch
22nd Sept Snetterton
26th October Donnington

I trust you may seriously consider this for for 2003 ?