View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3704570)   #52
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post

Hill's accident: AAIB report:

I would suggest the financial pressure of trying to create his Shadows team created incredible time pressure upon Hill and various matters of administrative detail were passed over. He was never a careless man: daring, yes; but careless? No.

Probably Hill had to be back at base the next day: time pressures again.

Interestingly, neither the aircraft nor Hill's life were insured at the time of the accident. The Lloyds underwriters paid out though, as they can do on a matter of principle since intent had existed to renew.

How do I know this? Well, since my wife worked at the time for the underwriters concerned, perhaps?
GH flying himself and 5 of his team to their death when he tried to land at night in fog at an airfield with no approach radar - no, not careless at all.

Ah the insurance paid out - so that makes it all OK then? Possibly one of the most insensitive remarks I've ever read on ten-tenths.

Growing up in Heathrow's shadow, many of my friends worked in aviation including three in London ATC and two as pilots. The only good that came out of GH's crash was that it was quoted for many years as a classic example of why pilots must never allow get-home-itis to cloud their judgement.

As a child of the sixties GH was one of my heroes, waving the flag for Britain, larger than life, jolly good fellow, all that stuff. But once i learnt the truth about that night it all changed for me. I'll say no more.