View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2003, 17:51 (Ref:741164)   #100
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by skycafe
I have just finished Burt BS Levy's Potside Companion, and will order his other books.
Levy's other three books are fiction and relate Sports Car Racing's early days in the US (1950s). In true storyteller fashion, Levy inserts his characters into actual events and associates them with real people (drivers) of the period. Some names have been changed to avoid legal action, but the personalities DID exist. The jacket of the first book also details Levy's personal trials and tribulations in getting the book published.

1."The Last Open Road", ISBN 0-9642107-0-3: We are introduced to "Buddy" Palumbo, a teen aged mechanic (MGs & Jaguars, highly sought after in the US in 1952) who may or may not be Levy's alter ego. Buddy has a job at a gas station which becomes a mecca for imported cars due to his skills. Various characters and their cars are introduced. "Buddy" goes to various venues as a mechanic and in general describes Sports Car racing as it was in those days.

2."Monezuma'a Ferrari", ISBN 0-94642107-1-1: "Buddy" accompanies one of the charcters to the "Carerra Panamerica" (Mexican Road Race) and in general grows up a little bit. More scenes of famous races and people.

3."The Fabulous Trashwagon", ISBN 0-9642107-5-4: "Buddy" finally gets to build his own car and discovers "aerodynamic lift".

Burt Levy can at time be verbose and has more than once used every concievable adjective to describe things but all in all the books are fun to read. Please read them in the order in which they are listed.

My copies have been autographed by Bert as I have ment him many times at various "Historic" races events in the US.

The ISBN callouts will aid your local library or bookshop in ordering the books.