Old 3 Jan 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2364632)   #8
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I'm hoping that this might finish up in the Chassis Archive, maybe via the History forum but since a number of these cars have been running in the recent couple of seasons, I thought I'd start here. I know that some here take exception to the fact that some of these have acquired HTPs when there is no known International racing history, but as you know this 'pocket rocket' from the 1960s is a great favourite of mine. I'm trying to identify as many as possible and maybe even get some idea of chassis numbers and history, although many will be short of the latter!

Griffith 200 - 4.7 V8 Ford - 195 bhp - rounded Grantura Mk 3 bodies with Cortina rear light cluster - early cars anyway, a few later, may have been bodied as below

Griffith 400 - 4.7 V8 Ford - 271 bhp - Kamm tailed 1800S bodies,

Built mainly 1964 - 1965

Clearly, any that are now racing are unlikely to have less power than the 271 bhp version, some surely rather more, so at the moment I'm lumping them together. The cars that I remember having seen in recent seasons are owned or driven by:-

Jason and Louise Kennedy (acquired I think by them from Canada?)
Roger Connel (he has owned his for many years)
Jamie Boot
Jon Shipman
Julian Dodd
Steve Watton (although noted for sale at the end of the 2007 season)
Simon Garrard
Mark Garritt

I may think of some more, but can anyone add to this list, and add any further info about the individual cars. Both Louise and Mark are 10-Tenthers, so hopefully they will respond at least!
I think a few people will take exception to your assertion that there is no known International racing history for Griffiths. Below is a sample:

P. Simpson in the AMOC Silverstone International Martini Trophy on 24th July 1965. EHM Paul at Brands Hatch in the Redex Trophy race on 30th August 1965. D. Heinz and Tom Harmar in a round of the USSRC at Road America on 12th September 1965. Otto Karger and P. Simpson at Aspern in Austria on 17th October 1965. Gerry Marshall also drove the works prepared car MMT 7C at the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting on 17th September 1966.

The HiPo 289 (271bhp) was an option on 200s and standard on 400s. 200s do not have Cortina lights. You are correct that they have a Grantura rear end but they should have individual Sparto lenses, although many have replaced these with Lucas/Land Rover lights. The Griffith had the Kamm tail 2 years before the 1800S which was not homologated until 1967 (yes I know there is an 1800S running as a Grantura in period F).

A few others:

Malcolm Johnson's (light blue/white stripes) car which ran in the 2008 6 hrs which is an immaculate 400 bodied 200. Laurence Bailey has a (orange) 400 which was badly damaged in an accident at the L'Age D'Or meeting at Dijon in 2007. Cambridge Motorsport built a (yellow car) that was subsequently owned by Tim Fish. Richard Tyzack had a (silver) 200 which ran in FIA GTC. In addition to Jelli and Willie Green, I understand Richard Dodkins is also building one. There is at least one dutch one racing (dark red) and one in Germany. According to Mike Mooney the author of 'Griffith Years' 261 US Griffith 200s and 59 Griffith 400s were built.

I have an immaculate roadgoing Griffith 400 currently for sale with history back to 1966 including period competition which some of you will have seen in the paddock at Spa - red with white stripes on chrome wires. Terry has one and Mike Abbas had one for sale as well.

HTH

R