View Single Post
Old 2 May 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1905340)   #10
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok, so have we lost James? Did anyone else go to this meeting? Thoughts, comments?
Hi John,

No, you haven't lost me (yet!)

Had the 'week from hell', work-wise, and RR's precis of the meeting was so much better than anything I could have put together that there was little point in trying to follow it!!

It was a well-attended meeting from a spectator point of view, albeit a bit thin on the grids. Mallory is so much more pleasant on a 'civilised' (albeit lightly-attended) AMOC meeting, than being shoe-horned into the usual paddock scrum at a busy meeting e.g. Top Hat!

From a personal 50s Sports Car Team challenge point of view, the teams were slightly down on the end of last season (only 15 starters!) (although i'm sure this will pick up) with a lovely mixture (IMHO) of Aston DB2/4s, a DB3S, DBR1, several lovely AC Aces, Healey 100M, an unusual special-bodied Bristol, plus our three Alfa Giuliettas.

Despite losing one of our team members after practice (his 'super-dooper lightened anti-roll bar' broke in half!), we had a great time in the middle of the field (always gratifying to keep up with cars with much larger engines, but much less agile - Giuliettas are thankfully perfectly-balanced round Gerrards), with the eventual spoils going to the Healey 100M. My race was spoilt by (yet again!) a loss of most of my braking after 3 laps, which caused me a few sphincter-tightening moments at the hairpin, culminating in a spin which let John Bennett in the other Giulietta through.....Gotta get those brakes sorted ASAP!! Somehow we managed to get a second team prize, not sure how! Anyway our next round is at Brands on Monday. Hope I have braking ability then!

Got so flustered trying ot get all my stuff in the van before leaving for Mallory, that i forgot my camera, so no bl**dy photos, I'm afraid...

The Intermarque Championship was the usual mix of the gorgeous, the battered and the downright mental (and that's just the drivers..). After a tussle, victory went to the 'definitely not standard' Tiger of Jackie Cochrane.

Regards,

James

Last edited by John Turner; 3 May 2007 at 08:10.