Thread: Future Of F1
View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1572143)   #24
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
Right, lookleft! So you think I need glasses? Too right mate. I could always tell a 250F Maserati from a Ferrari 500 or a BRM from a Vanwall, but that WAS a long time ago.
A Vanwall?? That was a long time ago.

Quote:
Ok! There are a few superficial differences between McL's and Runners but come on! They all have to fit inside the same FIA box don't they.
Very free regulations might produce a front engined car or one with the engine OVER the driver and with three wheels. Whacky Races? Yeah! (RIGHT out of LEFT field)
Anyway I challenge you (if it were possible) to pick out a matt black Red Bull froma matt black Sauber at the first corner of any Grand Prix.#
I just want variety in shape, and performance at different circuits. Make things more interesting. The current furore over Toro Rosso V10's proves that variety is the spice of life.
They do have to fit into the same "box" for a good reason. I cast my mind back to the Nissan GTR touring car - it ALMOST killed touring car racing in one foul swoop - it was THAT good. All credit to Nissan for the work they did but very few "fans" were happy to watch the same car run away with all the silverware - some goes for F1. If there was an open book Toyota would come in and outspend everyone, win by a lap and go home happy. We would all be here saying "remember 2006, 5 teams in with a chance...". Personally I could go either way but a car winning by huge margins does not generate the interest required to fuel the sport.

I agree that the dumbing down of F1 goes against what it WAS but times change. It is still the series every driver wants to get into and the series with the "glamour". Can't see the changing no matter what the regulations. 80% of spectators are casual and probably don't even know what swept volume or CFD is but they are the one the marketing people want to see logos on the sides of the pretty cars. That is what F1, and any professional motorsport, is about.

I think I could pick the BMW out, now a Torro Rosso vs. a Red Bull might have me turing down the challenge

Quote:
Kind regards to a fellow enthusiast.
Likewise