View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2015, 02:55 (Ref:3490877)   #10
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
So schedule s was what that weapon of a Bluebird that Foggy drove ran in?
Yeah that's right. The Bluebird, Telstars, BMW 3's, Primera's, Sentra's, Corona's.

It was quite good to watch, and the fields were good, but there were multiple classes so it was a little deceptive. There were often only a handle in the 2 litre class, and the BMW's cleaned up many of the years. I believe Toyota brought the Altezza in towards the end and that did well.

This was in the early 2000's and Super Touring had just collapse under the massive development expense and then, manufacturer withdrawal. Believe it or not, I believe ToCA actually looked at Schedule S as a replacement, when they were running a production based series. Instead they took on S2000 rules, and this stayed in place for another 10 years or so (and was quite successful).

I'm not sure exactly what happened around this time, but there was a V8 field racing, which traditionally ran mostly Holdens, usually VL's and VK's. It was around this time that they were upgrading to more modern chassis' and a few Fords began to come through. With the strength of the Australian series and the collapse of Super Touring I wouldn't be surprised if it were simply a case of sponsorship moving towards the V8's, which helped fund more chassis' and eventually this turned into NZV8's?