View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2007, 18:21 (Ref:2014858)   #66
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I first heard the news this morning I was devastated. We have lost another Hero and Legend. It's two years tomorrow since we lost Michael, then we lost Richard now Colin. I'm sure they are now together sharing a beer, and planning a celestial rally championship.

I can never be described as being a fanatical Colin fan, but I did enjoy seeing him drive. He was always spectacular and always entertaining for the fans. In his early days he had a reputation for crashing, but his mentor Dave Richards said he did not mind that. He said it showed commitment, and that if a young rally driver doesn't have a few crashes he's not trying hard enough.

I'll never forget the '95 RAC Rally. The final round of the World Rally Championship. Colin and Carlos neck-a-neck 70 points each. Under awesome pressure Colin didn't crack. Every time we saw him he was attacking the stages with full commitment, displaying the amazing skills that have made him a hero to so many. I'm proud to say I was at Chester Racecourse when Colin came over the finish ramp and claimed the world title. The atmosphere and emotion was unbelievable. It's a moment I will never forget.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends of all those involved in the accident.

RIP Colin McRae Legend & Hero