View Single Post
Old 30 May 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3255379)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I'd go for it It doesn't put anyone else at risk does it?

As it happens, my race car has always been road legal, taxed and insured, so I have on occasion done road trips in it. For short trips I use a leather flying helmet, split pane goggles and a scarf wrapped so that one end flutters in the wind. Not very safe, but it's my own choice. It's all very and feels great.

For more serious distances I wear ear plugs, two beanie hats, a city cycling filter mask and pair of ski goggles, plus the obligatory scarf. It still feels way more 'exposed' and exciting than even an open face helmet, never mind a closed one.

Ok, I admit I always take a full face helmet with me, but that's only in case it ****es down!

More seriously though, my concern is that when people start discussing things like this it's very hard to argue against people being 'more safe'. Obviously everyone wants everyone else to be as safe as possible. Few would want to be seen suggesting that people should put themselves at more risk than they have to, particularly if it doesn't cost much to eliminate the risk. So pretty soon a weight of opinion forms that allowing a certain 'risk' to be taken is a bad idea, with few dissenting voices. So then it sounds like a majority are for eliminating that risk and pretty soon the rule makers include it as a 'recommendation' for best safety. And as we all know, one year's 'recommendation' has a habit of becoming next year's 'requirement' in our sport.

There's no easy answer. I lived through the Helmet Law controversy for motorbikes and had a lot of sympathy for the small number of gnarled old chopper and 'brit bike' riders who simply wanted it to be a personal choice. And yet it was obvious how many kids on fs1e's and ap50's lives were being saved by not giving them the choice. Perhaps for racing I'd agree that if you have a cross on the back of your car, you have to wear a full face helmet. After that you can choose. That would mean it was a genuine decision to go open face. An opt in, as it were, that few would even bother to try.