Thread: The new boss?
View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1023420)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at the FIA's motorsport role, I think we need someone who is less of a politician. The team bosses have learnt to play a political FIA chief like an old violin, they can stall, alter or simply not agree to any proposals or changes, hence the pace of change is painfully slow.

All the 'give with one hand and take with the other' type negotiations are very wearing and becoming more pointless, coupled with the fact that teams appear to agree to his face, and then do the opposite when back in the privacy of their factories. Is it time for more of a direct approach I wonder?

For example, BMW are threatening a pull out if the V10 engine format doesn't remain - OK, how about a like it or lump it approach, and see if they walk. If F1 is THAT valuable to them, which it must be to justify their vast expenditure on it, they will stay regardless - it's just thay they want F1 on their terms, well, so will Mercedes, Toyota and Renault. As Gerhard Berger said a couple of years back when commenting on the GPWC, he said it won't work because BMW will only want to build the engine they want and Toyota (for example) will want the rules to favour their car, etc. The same thing apply's in the current F1 regime.

To me the role looks to all encompassing, I can't see how one person can be in charge of governing global motorsport, deal with car manufacturer's and work on road safety.

The job of pushing through changes in F1 looks like a sufficent task on it's own to me, without anything else.

We need more of a 'spade caller', we cannot continue with a situation where the competitors effectively set the rules, and still have to be cajoled and fawned around to get them implemented.