Thread: Diff mounting?
View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2276524)   #1
drjim
Rookie

drjim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diff mounting?

Chaps

I am still building my track car (BMW E21 316), and have a load of bits off an ex Geoff Steele 323i including solid rear beam mountings. I was talking to Brian Long at a trackday in July, and he suggested that the diff should be solid mounted as well. It normally bolts straight to the subframe at its front end, and has a big rubber/metal bush at the back end that goes to the bodyshell. Presumably if I left it like that it would move around at the back end and break itself???

If I do need to solid mount it, that's quite good as the bush is knackered and a new one is £45!

Assuming that solid is the way to go I will fabricate a nice chunky metal thing using the original bush (replace the rubber with big circles of steel). I was thinking that I should reinforce the boot floor, and maybe build a brace to triangulate to the shock towers. I have a rear strut brace, and have seen setups which triangulate to the boot floor and double as a battery holder. I have a leftover piece of CDS rollcage tube that should weld in there nicely.

Am I thinking along the right lines??

Jim