View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2010, 03:52 (Ref:2616069)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
ACRUK, LMS is NEVER going to thin the LMP ranks just to make room for more GTs, so that method for making room for another series just doesn't fly. Not to mention, there aren't ANY tracks with enough pit stalls, and rated high enough (full FIA Grade 2 standard), to have 75 cars of this spec racing on them all at once. Daytona is an anomaly, and the only tracks I can think of that would be allowed to have 80+ cars based on their lap length are Le Mans (only 55 pit boxes), and the Nordschleife (not cleared to run anything higher than GT2). Sebring is 1.16-1.5 miles shorter than it was in the days when it had 80+car starting grids (it only has 60 pit boxes at present anyway).

I think you'll have to drop that 50-car field for GTs criterion. I haven't heard of a single GT-only race, except, perhaps, for the Spa 24H, drawing that kind of a field any time recently (and that's been with GT1, GT2, AND GT3 cars allowed in the 24-Hour).

The GT1 World Championship is limited to 24 cars to allow for one aircraft to take care of travel for the flyaway events, for which SRO is covering the costs. I doubt the BPR, aside from Spa 24H, had much larger GT1 grids than this, so why the complaint? Heck, even with GT1 and GT2 on track, a 30-car field for the 500k/3h FIA GT races was pretty decent. And, of course, the new GT1 races won't be endurance; deal with it.

Finally, even combined IMSA GTO/GTU grids would have usually fallen short of your 50-car, GT requirement.