View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2618332)   #46
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
At this point, I think, they didn't know what they would end up with and even with the current chassis-dimension better looking cars would have been possible. The greenhouse is not significantly bigger than on a GT-car, in fact the DPs are a good deal lower than the Grand Am GT-cars.
But that is the aesthetic problem. The cars are not dimensionally close to the GT's, but with GT greenhouses look terrible.
Quote:
The Doran and the Fabcar (and the Chase) were somewhat built in that spirit and are actually quite nice looking.
But then came along Riley (a company with a corporate history of ugly cars) and ran everyone else into the ground, and here we are today.

In my opinion, the frantic racing really makes up for the somewhat different aesthetics, but I can understand those that disagree.
And only very few LMPs are beauty queens either. Those who say that there has been no good looking Proto in the last 20 years are pretty much right - except for some late 962s and the 90s GT1-cars.
Personally, I'd disagree with that, just because I don't think most of the Group C cars were very good looking (pretty bad proportions really), and the Mercedes CLK-GTR is probably the ugliest prototype of the decade.

I can think of a lot of LMP900 and 675 cars that were quite attractive though...