View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2012, 04:43 (Ref:3098191)   #2550
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
Not to mention it was most likely not driven at it's full potential. Any observant motorsport fan will notice the relatively high laptime differential at tracks LMP and F1 cars share.
I believe it was a 1994 Benetton. On fairly pedestrian tires (compared to the Michelins on the HPD), with an amateur driver, I wouldn't anticipate it would be particularly quick, especially around VIR which requires immense commitment from drivers to make a downforce car go quickly. Put Michael Schumacher in the car, with his 1994 Benetton team in support and the car would go quicker. But I don't think the ALMS was seriously suggesting that the current watered-down LMP1 formula is as quick as F1 cars. It was a simple statement of fact. "Here's an idea of our relative pace, we were only .3 seconds slower than an old Formula 1 car." would have been the better, perhaps more honest wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
No IMSA GT3 Challenge, Prototype Lites or anything scheduled for Lime Rock, just ALMS and URC... bit poor support race package I'd say, least exciting of the season for sure. I love the circuit and surroundings though, it's a bit like Brands Hatch Indy for the series

Mosport's (I refuse to call it anything else) schedule on the other hand looks exciting, if I had the money and time that would be the race I'd attend. Wish NCATS run on the same weekend too
As far as I can tell, URC is stillborn. I would love to be proven wrong. And then I'd love for the ALMS to birth a support series as exciting and interesting as the CTSCC. Perhaps work out a deal with the Castrol Canadian Touring Car Championship to work closely on developing a Touring Car Championship for IMSA.

... Of course, maybe they should just focus on the ALMS...

Chris