View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3240842)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
FIA Formula E Championship 2014-15

This looks quite exciting. A new open-wheel car, completely electric McLaren engines, 20 cars, to race only on street circuits, with driver changes, 170 MPH, completely silent... this all sounded like a pipe dream but it sure looks like its taking off. It sounds completely nuts, but I like it. I just found out about it today in Sports Illustrated, where Lars Anderson wrote about the series and the meetings in Los Angeles with mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. It seems that it will launch in 2014, under the FIA, and run 10 races on global cities around the world. 8 cities have been locked in to the season next year out of the 23 cities and their respective mayors that have been fighting tooth and nail to land a spot for the inaugural season. The confirmed series are as follows

In North America, Los Angeles, California and Miami, Florida. In South America, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Buenos Aires, Argentina. In Europe, Rome, Italy and London, England. Finally, in Asia, Putrajaya, Malaysia and Beijing, China.

There are two slots left. According to all the relatively new buzz about it the last month, the races would be held around city centers and places of importance in the cities. No dates have been announced yet, at least to my understanding.

Here's the link to the news portal (I don't think it's official): http://formula-e-news.com/
The website: http://www.formulaeholdings.com/
And a Jalopnik article: http://jalopnik.com/formula-e-will-l...tric-483104421

I have a personal relationship with this series, as well. When I decided to see Pixar's Cars 2 (I was in love with Cars in my innocent childhood years back in '06 and '07!), I was fascinated with the idea of the World Grand Prix. Cars buzzing through the fascinating city centers of London and Tokyo with a little spy action along with it. I draw a lot of my street circuit designs from those pipe dreams. Now something very similar seems to be coming to life.

Anyone want to take guesses as to what the final cities will be? I noticed that they seem to be doing 2 races per continent (if the series expands, I'm sure it'll be 3 or 4 per continent). However, they have left out Africa and Australasia. I think a Canadian round is out (originally when this idea came up my thoughts went to Toronto and Vancouver), as well as any other European round at this point. And since there is already a big race on a street circuit in Australia (the Melbourne GP), I can see Sydney or Brisbane hosting a 9th race and perhaps Cape Town or Durban hosting a 10th round.

A couple of these cities give me reason to worry, though, and they are Beijing and Rio De Janeiro. I realize they are trying to bring alternative energy to China to fight their pollution problems, and that a smogged-out race in China would be an effective reminder of how dire the problem is with crude energy sources, but still. If you thought New Delhi was bad for the GP last year, it is nothing, NOTHING, compared to some days in Beijing. I'm sure they will try to reduce their emissions like they did for the Olympics to make a good first impression, but if they don't, who knows what the health impacts will be. They seem to be visiting some cities that are having problems with their emissions (Beijing, Buenos Aires, London, Rome, Los Angeles), and maybe their goal is to make an impact of these cities and help them change their ways by entertaining them with electric racing? I dunno...

Also, a street race in Rio is an absolute MAGNET for crime. I say that with NO OFFENSE to Brazilians, as I plan to visit Rio for the 2016 Olympics and Brazil for the 2014 World Cup. But Rio is known for its dodgy street atmosphere, even in downtown. But I'm sure the officials will have it under control.

I guess those ideas about the street race in London and Rome that were supposed to be for F1 are coming to fruition in Formula E! I know Boris Johnson is happy.

Comments, questions, concerns? The very official FIA Formula E Championship thread can commence!